People presume that virtualization and cloud computing are one or the same thing. In fact, both of these terms are used interchangeably. The environment in which cloud technology persists is known as virtualization. On the other hand, cloud computing can be said as a digital service. Confusion among both of them arises as virtualization and cloud computing technologies share a unique relationship and are often observed to be working together.
But first, it is important to understand what is cloud computing and what is virtualization?
A combination of software applications, hardware, and a high level of network resources together make up the cloud computing environment. Cloud computing can also be defined as the on-demand availability of the computer system, resources, such as data storage with the help of computing power without direct active management by the user. Large clouds are used by large business organizations. These clouds have functions that are distributed over multiple locations where each of the locations can be said as a data center.
The cloud computing environment can be easily accessed by individuals as well as business organizations with the help of internet services. A cloud computing service provider will serve the different service needs of the business.
Software applications used to serve the purpose of virtualization. These applications separate the different computer environments from the physical infrastructure. This is done so that the user can run multiple operating systems as well as applications at the same time on a single machine. Virtualization can also be defined as the creation of a virtual, rather than an actual version of something such as an operating system. It can also be a server or a storage device, or even a network resource.
The concept of virtualization makes the use of software applications that has the ability to create a virtual system. Such a practice allows an information technology organization to work with multiple operating systems. They can also operate with more than one virtual system and a set of different applications over a large server.
Difference between Cloud Computing and Virtualization
The fundamental technology that supports cloud computing is virtualization. A software application that manipulates the hardware is virtualization. On the other hand, cloud computing is a service that is the result of that manipulation. The existence of cloud computing is difficult without virtualization.
Virtualization can be said as a fundamental element of cloud computing. The concept helps to deliver services based on cloud computing. When computing resources and services are shared, the concept standing behind it is known as cloud computing. These resources can be data, software applications, and fulfilling any demand with the help of the internet.
People get confused between the two terms occurs as cloud computing and virtualization work together to offer a set of different services. Cloud technology offers the facility of virtualization to offer high-end computing services. The cloud can offer virtualization products to deliver high-end services.
How to check if your business needs a cloud solution?
While virtualization can be said as one of the best solution for businesses, a cloud platform has the capabilities to offer a set of different befits to the different businesses. Some of them include:
- Quick Setup: Cloud solutions are extremely easy to setup and quick to get started. The und users do not have to worry about the hardware requirements of the business.
- Outsourced Technology Services: The Its service provider holds all the responsibilities of the everyday administration, care, and updating all the support systems. The users now no longer have to worry about all these activities. Using such a technology also frees up the internal IT resources in the case of a high value business.
- Pay as you go model: As you start using the cloud technology, the SaaS platforms lets you offload some of the basic technology requirements of the cloud service providers. Here, you make payments for the products and services that you use for your business. This saves a lot of money, especially in the case of the small and medium businesses.
- Scalability: If you are planning to expand and grow your business in the near future, like any business would do, the cloud allows you to expand your capacity. This is done by offloading the high demand computing requirements to an external provider.
Things to Look for in a Virtualization Provider
If you are a small business and considering virtualization, here are some of things that you need to look for in the vendors.
- Is the provided solution reliable: The solution that is provided should be tried and tested. For this, it is better to research the vendor’s tack records for product innovation, customer adaptation, and innovation.
- Does the product follow a plan: The offered product or the solution should have a vision or a public record roadmap for the virtualization solution. The buyer must have a clear understanding of how the solution will operate and help the business in the future.
- Will it support openness and choice: with the growth of your business, it will demand ah high rate of flexibility which will help to evolve your products and processes. Thus, it is important that it support openness and choice.
What’s in the Future?
Cloud computing and virtualization are not the ultimate end of all the things. Like any other technology and services, things will ultimately going to change. Both of these technologies have their own benefits, they cannot be said as the competing approaches. The Cloud Computing technology can be said as an evolution of virtualization. Businesses who successfully virtualize their hardware servers may adopt cloud computing over the time to increase self-service, incorporate scaling, and improve the levels of service delivery and agility.
Growing businesses must keep all these aspects in mind to avail service of cloud computing and virtualization.