When it comes to travel to exotic places in the world, every Indian user taps on Make My Trip as their travel guide. This is the success acquired by Deep Kalra has made MakeMyTrip the most valuable travel company of the nation. The travel app has the maximum user base and voted the best app in the arena of travel and tourism.
MakeMyTrip is an initiative by Deep Kalra who had quit multiple jobs in order to fulfill this dream. He is an alumnus of IIM Ahmedabad and had joined ABN Amro Bank as his first step in his career. Next to his career portfolio was AMF Bowling, an American group where he spent four years in the job but faced dissatisfaction. He was realizing that he had to something big in life. After hopping through multiple successful jobs, Deep realized the power of the internet when he joined GE capital in 1999.
Starting of MakeMyTrip
Journey to the success mountain was not easy for Deep as it bought tough hurdles. Those who joined this journey were co-founders like – Keyur Joshi, Rajesh Magow and Sachin Bhatia. The idea of Deep came to life when eVentures an American group invested USD 2 million in the year 2000. The initial stage of the business was very hard and sloppy as the recession was knocking doors. But MakeMyTrip changed the course of its business and entered the Indian railways by providing the users to book tickets online on MakeMyTrip. This course of action gave MakeMyTrip a boost in the travel segment.
Rising like a Star
The Success saga goes on as MakeMyTrip made $5million in between years 2008-2010 with a mega customer base of 2, 00, 000 where every other business was struggling to get out of the recession phase. NASDAQ complemented MakeMy Trip by commenting on its unique capability to fight in the market and stand out to make a place of its own when there are difficult times.
- In the year 2011, MakeMyTrip acquired the Singapore based travel company.
- In 2011 August Le Travenues Technology Private Limited is acquired by MakeMyTrip.
- In 2012 Thailand based ITC Company acquired by MakeMyTrip.
- November 2012 Hotel Travel Group (HT Group), which operates in Thailand, Singapore, and Malaysia, is acquired by MakeMyTrip.
- February 2014 com (ETB) online hotel operator based in Amsterdam is acquired by MakeMyTrip.
- In 2015 MakeMyTrip acquired a small start-up called MyGola, which is a travel guide.
The company is still on the rising edge of growth. MMT has now become one of the most preferred travel booking sites on a global basis. The company is still expected to become a giant in the coming future.