You can see Top 10 Conferencing Tools for Small and Medium Businesses and Top 3 Conferencing Tools for Small and Medium Businesses to look into details.
Skype one of a web conferencing tool, being a part of the Microsoft brings innovative technology to friends, family and colleagues anywhere. And now Microsoft makes the future possibilities of their customers more exciting- connecting more people to transform and enhance their lives. The tool lets you do things together- learn a language, celebrate a birthday, hold a meeting, work with colleagues, share files and just anything you do about in a day. You can use it on your desktops, laptops, tablets and mobile phones.
You can start using it for free for text messages, file sharing or video calls. The tool offers a few more features if you pay a little more- like making a phone call, creating groups of people collaborating employees, customers and business partners in a single platform.
Editions and Pricing
Skype offers all its basic capabilities and functions free of cost, but if you pay an extra money, you get an extra set of rich features. Skype subscriptions can be bought in $6.99 per user/ month for the extra privileges including calls and messaging up to 250 people and schedule meetings through Outlook integration.
Capabilities and Supporting Set of Features
The tool offers you new ways filled with fun during instant messaging. Messages sent to offline users are stored in the tool and delivered once they come online. Chat history and messages are synced across devices when the user signs in using the same account. Mojis and emotions, Video messaging, instant messaging, send text (SMS), voice messages and GroupMe are some of the advanced features of the tool supporting the new messaging style. You can talk with your fingers, plan a family trip, gossip or work on a project together using the Skype messaging service. Voice messages also take messages for you if you are too busy to talk.
The tool lets you call anyone else on Skype for free and anywhere in the world. The advanced calling features let you call Skype-to-Skype, Mobiles and Landlines calls, Group calls, Forward calls, Skype click to call, etc. The tool provides capabilities such as calling mobiles and landlines worldwide at low rates, get a group of people together on one, even international call and add up to 25 people.
Skype’s most attractive feature is one top one catch up calls or even Group video call for free. It allows you to make voice or video call to anyone added to your contact list anywhere. All you need to make a video call is a webcam for both the devices engaged in the video call.
Sharing has become a lot easier with the tool. You can share files, pictures, videos as big as 25 MB- simply drag and drop to add a file to your Skype chat. Screen sharing another amazing feature of the tool. You can easily share your computer screen with one person or a group of people you are talking to. Sharing contacts, number and Skype name is easy with the tool.
- Skype Wifi: This feature lets you online at over 2 million Wifi hotspots worldwide and pays only for calling minutes.
- Skype Manager: This is a web-based management tool that let you centrally manage Skype for your business or for your family. Manager allows you to manage accounts, allocates credits and features.
- Skype Connect: This feature lets you receive calls on your office phones and make low-cost calls by integrating Skype with your existing phone system.
- Your business can save on communication cost with little or no additional upgrades required by adding Skype Connect to your existing SIP-enabled PBX.
- Skype for Outlook.com: Right from your inbox, go from emailing and chatting to video calls connecting Office Outlook.com with Skype.
- Share Button: Share button lets you share content from your site into the Skype chat.
- Skype Translator: This feature lets you translate voice and video calls in 7 languages and instant messages over 50 languages.
Skype account can be easily accessed on Android, iOS phones and Windows phones. All you need to do is to log in with the same account and it will quickly sync contacts and chats from your account right into your mobile phones.
Skype being a Microsoft product, integrates with all the other Microsoft applications and tool sets.
Skype is supported with powerful online guides, FAQ’s, Videos, webinars, email support, text chat support, Forums, knowledge base etc.
Pros and Cons of Skype
- It is a fast tool with cheap calling rates.
- Clear and convenient video conferencing.
- Easy one-to-one and group chat for professional use
- Screen sharing is great for company meetings.
- Data and RAM consuming.
- Too many unnecessary functionalities for home and personal use.
- Managing business accounts is painful.
Read Also: Top web conferencing tools product review – X.ai
Skype has a key feature to stand out from other conferencing tools. The new feature “Translator” brings a revolution in communication, translating text and voice from one language to another. Its user- friendly and attractive interface also makes is a more preferred tool than the rest.
You can refer the detailed Conferencing tools product reviews for GoToMeeting and Cisco WebEx for a quick comparison.