Digital Forensic is the method that involves identification, preservation, documentation, and extraction of computer evidences which is useful for the court of law. Several computer forensic tools are available in the market which are helpful in making this process easy and simple. Such applications are capable to generate complete reports that can directly be used for legal procedures.
These tools inspires entrepreneurs or small business owners to develop smart algorithms, tool, and techniques that can resolve technical complexities occurred in criminal investigations.
Here is a list of Digital Forensic tools with their popular features
ProDiscover Forensic allows you to locate all the data that is present on a memory devise. The application is capable to protect evidences of the activities occurred on the computer memory. The application then creates quality reports about its findings. ProDiscover also allows you to extract the EXIF (Exchangeable Image File Format) information from JPEG file formats. Some of its features includes:
- File systems such as Windows, Linux, and Mac are supported.
- A quick search and preview for a suspicious file is possible.
- The toll can create a copy of the entire suspected disk cam be made also keeping safe the original evidences.
- The tool is also capable to extract internet history.
- It can import and export .dd images.
- You can add comments to add details and personal opinions.
- VMware supported to run captured images.
Sleuth Kit (+Autopsy)
It is a utility tool which only operates on Windows making the forensic analysis of any computer system easier. It is capable to conduct forensic analysis on a computer hard drive as well as on a smartphone. Some of its features include:
- Activity identification through a graphical interface.
- The interface can carry out analysis for emails.
- The tool allows its users to group files depending on their format making it easy to identify images and documents.
- A thumbnail preview is provided to have a quick view of the pictures.
- The tool allows to tag files with names.
- It also allows you to extract data from call logs, SMS contacts, and other places from a smart phone.
- The tool also allows you to add flags to its files and folders on the basis of path and names.
CAINE is an application which operates on Ubuntu. It uses a graphical interface to offer a complete forensic environment for its users. You can integrate CAINE into the existing software tools as a module. Some of its features include:
- User friendly interface
- Customizable features
- Several user friendly tools.
Paladin is an Ubuntu based application allowing you to simplify several forensic tasks. The tool has multiple features that will help you to investigate any malicious material. Its easy and simplified interface helps you to quickly find out forensic insights. Some of its features include:
- Supports both 32 as well as 64 bit versions.
- The tool is also available on a USB drive
- It is toolbox with open source tools helpful in searching information easily.
- The 33 categories helps in completing cyber forensic task.
The application helps you in recovering useful evidences from a hard drive. The tool allows you to conduct a detailed file analysis to collect information such as pictures, documents, and other file formats. Some of its features include:
- It allows you to collect data from smartphones, tablets, and computer systems.
- The tool allows you to develop complete reports maintaining integrity of evidences.
- It allows you to search, locate, and prioritize evidences.
- The tool can also unlock encrypted evidences.
SANS SIFT is a computer forensic application based on Ubuntu. The application offers a digital forensic and incident response examination facility. Some basic features include:
- It operates on a 64 bit operating system.
- It helps the users to make the best use of the available memory.
- The tool updates the Digital Forensics and Incident Response (DFIR) package automatically.
It is a forensic tool kit by AccessData. The tool is capable of creating copies of data without changing the original evidences. FTK Imager allows you to specify criteria such as size of the file, pixel size, file format, and data type. Some of its features include:
- Uses wizard driven approach to detect cybercrime.
- Better data visualization through charts.
- Password recovery from more than 100 applicants.
- Automated and advanced data analysis feature.
Magnet RAM Capture
The tool is capable to record memory from a suspicious computer system. You can carry out your investigation by recovering and analysing crucial files present in the memory. Some of its features are:
- You can export captured data from the memory and upload it into other analysis tools such as AXIOM and IEF.
- The application supports a wide range of operating platforms.
- Supports RAM acquisition.
X Ways Forensics
X Ways offers a work environment for the digital forensic examiners. You can carry out disk cloning and imaging with X Ways Forensics. The tool also allows you to collaborate with other people using this tool. Some of its features include:
- It allows users to access partitioning and file system structures in .dd image files.
- It allows you to access Redundant Array of Independent Disk (RAID) and access disks.
- It can detect New Technology File Systems (NTFS) and Alternate Data Streams (ADS).
- It can also access remote computers easily.
Wireshark is an application which can analyse the network packets in a device. The tool can carry out network testing and troubleshooting. Some of the features include:
- Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) analysis feature.
- File decompression possible
- The analysis outputs can be exported to Extensible Markup language (XML), Comma Separated Values (CSV), or plain text.
- The tool provides decryption support for several protocols such as Internet Protocol Security (IPsec), Secure Socket layer (SSL), and Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP).
Source – Guru99